The Centre for Professional Learning (CPL) English Conference, “2015 and Beyond, The New Stage 6 English Prescriptions”, held on March 28, was a major professional learning opportunity for teachers of HSC English.
The CPL event was the largest conference ever held in the Federation’s auditorium: 380 teachers from metropolitan and rural schools across the state attended. They included participants from Bulahdelah Central, Finley HS, Hay War Memorial HS, Jindabyne Central, Willyama HS, Boggabilla Central and Murwillumbah HS.
The presenters, Associate Professor Jacqueline Manuel, Jane Sherlock and Deb McPherson, skilfully explored the fundamental elements of the Area of Study, the Discovery rubric and all the Discovery texts. They also explored and unpacked Modules A and C for both the Advanced and Standard courses and examined a range of new texts for these modules.
Conference participant feedback was overwhelmingly positive:
- “The conference was fantastic, rejuvenating. It rekindled for me renewed interest and enthusiasm.”
- “There were excellent summaries of texts, poets and films. We were given some great pathways to consider.”
- “The resources we received are fantastic and are appreciated. The USB of resources will be utilised back at school.”
- “As a beginning teacher I gained insights into the specific texts, and this was particularly helpful.”
- “I feel inspired to rush home and read all the great texts that I’ve not yet tackled.”
- “The presenters were excellent, insightful, inspiring and provided helpful information.”
- “This is the best ever conference I have attended.”
CPL courses and conferences are only open to financial members of the union and events to support the professional learning needs of public school teachers will continue to be offered throughout the year. The easiest way to locate all information and to make an application is to visit the CPL website at www.cpl.asn.au.