Teachers will finally get paid with due recognition of their service after Federation secured an agreement with the Department on the Standards-Based Teacher Salary Procedure.
The new procedure ensures that teachers will have their experience appropriately recognised under standards-based remuneration. This is vital for both recruitment and retention of experienced teachers in NSW public schools.
In 2016, the Department unilaterally implemented a new procedure to determine salaries that saw hundreds of teachers being significantly underpaid. In the guise of transition to standards-based remuneration it ceased to recognise the following when determining teachers' pay:
- overseas teaching
- any teaching after a break of five years or more
- periods of full-time child-rearing
- military service.
In addition, teaching service in other states and territories, or in NSW Catholic or Independent Schools, was only to be addressed via salary-matching, meaning many teachers’ experience and years of service were not being fairly recognised. After protracted negotiations, the parties finally reached agreement in late December.
The following will now be considered relevant service regarding salary:
- overseas school teaching
- school teaching delivering courses recognised by the teacher registration authority in another state or territory
- teaching in NSW, outside of NSW public schools, that delivers the curriculum under the Education Act 1990 (NSW)
- teaching in all relevant casual, temporary and permanent employment with the Department, including after a break of five years
- periods of full-time child-rearing that follow completion of a teacher qualification
- periods of paid military leave.
Any teacher who submitted a request for recognition of service in 2016 and was knocked back will have the request reassessed. Processing these payments may take some time as the procedure and associated documents are yet to be finalised and published but any adjustments to salary will take effect from the date the Department received the application.
Federation will continue to assist some individuals to ensure they are paid correctly. Teachers should check that they are in the right category of membership so Federation can help secure pay that fully reflects their level of experience.
Click here to download PDF