The Eric Pearson 2016 Study Grant has been awarded to Darlington Public School teacher Michelle McCormack.
Michelle’s study will compare different models of support for same sex-attracted, intersex and gender diverse students, school staff and families in Singapore, the United Kingdom and the United States with Australia’s Safe Schools Coalition model.
In making these comparisons and talking to educators and experts in these countries Michelle’s study will aim to determine which strategies and ideas work best in each model and which strategies do not and why.
This study will examine:
- state and federal recognition of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex and queer students, teachers and children of same sex families in school settings
- strategies and policies of support and change
- the actual active implementation of the programs in schools
- teacher training and professional development opportunities and strategies
- funding models
- incorporation of safe policies (Are they stand alone or embedded in anti-bullying policies? Are they recognised at all as a cause of ill health, suicide, bullying and so on?)
Eric Pearson was Federation President from 1974 to 1975. He was also President of the Australian Teachers Federation. Originally called the Eric Pearson Memorial Travel Grant, the Eric Pearson Study Grant was established as a fitting tribute to his outstanding contribution as a scholar and unionist.